Wednesday 5 July 2017

MINATURES: EASY RIDER BIKES & DESERT SCENE

Franklyn Mint made some great 1/10 Easy Rider bikes some years ago. For many years I have kept my eye on the Internet hoping to pick them up. But normally selling at around £200-£400 each, they where always out of my price range...

...That was until I found beat up versions on eBay! I was lucky enough to win both Wyatt's Captain America bike and the Billy bike from some guy who had treated these beautiful models like s**t.

I wanted to repair and clean up the bikes, put the luggage on - like they always have in the film and then to finally create a camp scene diorama to display the bikes on.

Ebay photos 1/2

Ebay photos 2/2

The bike where more damaged than the seller made out

Handle bars snapped...

...on both bikes

 



The front wheel was the biggest issue to repair

Next was reference photos of luggage carried by the guys

Billy's bike

Wyatt's bike

Helmet with chain

another shot

Working on the leather straps on Wyatt's bike

Working on the sleeping bag & chain on Billy's bike

Repairs & luggage done!

Close up
 
They looked quite good as they where in my cabinet, but I hadn't finished...

I started designing the base using a picture frame

Early layout working out
 
I want a step between the bike to help show off the bike behind better

I use some packing foam from work for the step

More planning, I wanted a camp scene with the fire

More foam

Materials I picked up locally to me

I used milliput to help secure the base...

...and add more rough terrain

Here I started adding the glue and dust/dirt

The dust/dirt was collected by me in Almeria, Spain

The 1/2 way point

Camp fire made

Further on

From the back right looking towards the camp fire

My dirt tray

Still more work to do on the front

The back before paint
 
Dirt close-up

Took over the dining table

I add grass/foliage

I tidy up the back by painting the foam

The scene is complete

Finished in the cabinet

Close up of finish camp fire

Billy's bike

Both bikes
 
As the evening progresses

At night with the campfire glow

No comments:

Post a Comment